Our parish was not concieved by the construction of an archiectual monument but came to birth from teh faith of its people. The frist Holy Mass in Sheboygan took place on August 24, 1845. Father Caspar Rehrl and ten Catholic families gathered around the dining room table of Alban Kent that served as the altar of prayer. The table is preserved in Holy Name Church sanctuary.
Austrian-born Father Michael Haider arrives in Sheboygan to fulfill his assignment to St Mary Magdalene Catholic Church. He quickly purchases the plot of land that would become the site of Holy Name of Jesus Catholic Church for $2,200. With the parish’s finances exhausted, he’s given full access to the Pigeon River quarry by fellow Sheboyganite, business owner, and former Austrian acquaintance, Jacob Jung.
Construction of Holy Name begins. Over the next five years, limestone was hauled by horse-drawn wagon from the quarry two miles south to the site. While the original plan for the steeples was to have them reach 185 feet, the head carpenter warned against this due to the lakeside winds. Though shorter, their finished height of 170 feet still allowed sailors to use them as definitive landmarks of the port of Sheboygan.
Milwaukee Bishop, John Martin Henni, blesses the new parish under the patronage of Holy Name of Jesus in November. Parishioners start attending mass, kneeling on bare stone floors to pray.
Modern gas lights are installed to illuminate the interior of the church and two large drum stoves are added to provide heat during the harsh Sheboygan winters.
The Stations of the Cross, donated by George Brickner of Sheboygan Falls, are installed.
1879 – The church’s first organ, built in Milwaukee by Odenbrett and Abler pipe organ manufactory, graces the interior.
Four massive bells, known as the Angelic Quartet and individually named, Michael, Gabriel, Raphael, and Guardian Angel, are installed. Weighing in at 9,000 pounds, the bells required thick, rough hemp ropes and great strength to make them toll.
After the passing of Father Michael Haider in 1884, Father Nicholas Thill installs new pews along with a new altar, pulpit, and efficient heating system.
Father Francis Murphy, a curate of St. Johns' Cathedral Parish, Milwaukee visited Sheboygan at the request of community Catholics to evaluate the need for an English speaking parish.
$70,000 was authorised for the buildign of the church with Parkinson and Dockindorf, LaCrosse as architects. The design was Low Gothic, 130 ft. long, 54 ft. wide seating 500. On October 25th 1914, the cornerstone was laid and Father David J. Oh'hearn, St Francis Seminary, gave the sermon.
Church dedication ceremonies were held on May 30th 1915. Archibishop Messmer officiated. Bishop Muldoon, Rockford, IL gave the homly.
1929 – The iconic clocks are installed into the steeples of the church – a donation from Sheboygan local, John Kroeff. This would mark the first of several renovations throughout the history of the parish.
Holy Name of Jesus celebrates its Centennial Anniversary.
Construction of a new school building at Holy Name of Jesus is completed.
St. Clement parish celebrates its 50th anniversary at a Mass celebrated by Archbishop William Cousins.
With the Hispanic population growing in Sheboygan County, Sr. Mary Helen Neenan, a Sinsinawa Dominican, began ministering to the area Hispanic community in Sheboygan.
The first Spanish liturgy was celebrated in the St. Clement Convent Chapel.
Richard Mason and August Meyer are the first members of Holy Name of Jesus parish to be ordained transitional deacons.
St. Clement Church bells were rung for the first time after being installed and dedicated.
Antonio Gamez becomes the first St. Clement member to be ordained a Permanent Deacon, in 1984 Baleriano Gonzalez was ordained. Deacon Gonzalez continues to serve the parish in this capacity.
St. Clement parish school closes and later merges with Holy Name School. The school would be named Holy Family.
St. Clement parish begins restoration of stained glass windows. Over the course of twelve years all ten windows were restored.
Holy Name of Jesus parish celebrates its 150th anniversary.
St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Catholic school opens. The school resulted from the merger of St. Dominic School and Holy Family School.
On November 22nd, the Feast day of St. Clement, Archbishop Listecki presides at a Mass celebrating the Centennial anniversary of St. Clement Parish. A reception for the community followed at the John Michael Kohler Arts Center.